Having a new roof installed can do more than you think to improve your living situation. You know that you need a new roof if yours is damaged or very old, but did you know that in addition to keeping the rain out, a new roof can noticeably improve your home’s energy efficiency? It can also improve your home’s curb appeal and add resale value, so even if you aren’t excited about the expense, there are a lot of ways for you to see a return on your investment. First, though, you have to ensure that your roof replacement project is successful. Take a look at some tips to help you do that.
Get a Good Look
When you choose a roofing contractor, you’ll need to be able to tell them about any problem areas your roof has, even if those aren’t the direct reason you need a new roof right now. A space with missing shingles may not be your main problem at the moment, but the fact that those shingles are missing shows that there was some type of problem in that area.
When you know where your roof’s problem areas are and bring them up with your contractor, they can make a plan to address those problems so your newly-installed roof will be stronger in those areas. This will help your new roof last longer.
Pick the Right Roofing Installer
The right installation team makes all the difference.
Your roof is a big job, and you should leave it in the hands of someone who stands behind their secure and sturdy new roof made of good quality materials. That means finding the right roofing contractor. However, it’s no surprise that many homeowners don’t know where to start when it comes to choosing a roofing installation service. Unless you know a lot about roofing installation yourself, how are you to know what to look for?
There are several things you ought to be on the lookout for when choosing a new roof.
- Licensing and Insurance: If you want to make sure that your new roof project complies with building codes in your area and that you’re protected from liability, you need to make sure they have the correct licenses and insurance. A reputable roofing service will be happy to provide these on request.
- Experience: A new roofing service might not be bad, but do you really want to trust your roof to an unknown quantity? Play it safe by choosing a roofing service that’s been in business in your area for some time.
- Reputation and References: You have a number of resources when it comes to checking out the reputation of a roofing company. Online reviews can be a good source of information. You can also check out their Better Business Bureau rating and see any complaints filed with them. And it’s always a good idea to ask the company directly for references. That way you can see real-life examples of their work.
- Estimates: A new roof is a big expense, and it only makes sense to comparison shop. Get a written estimate from each roofing contractor you’re considering. That way, you’ll have an exact breakdown of what you’ll be paying for and what the costs are, and you can compare each service side by side.
- Warranties: You want a roofing contractor that stands by their work. Always ask what kind of warranty protection the company offers, and this should be another point of comparison between your roofing installation service choices. You should look for elements like the longevity of the warranty, what factors and features are covered by the warranty, what’s excluded from warranty protection, and whether or not the warranty is transferrable should you decide to sell your home.
Understand Roofing Materials
There are a number of different materials you can use on your roof, and you don’t have to replace your roof with the same materials your last roof used if you don’t want to. Your roofing contractor can help you go over your options and what the pros and cons of each are, but the final decision is up to you, so it’s important to understand the different materials and why you might choose them.
Some of the common types of roofing materials include wood shingles, asphalt shingles, clay tiles, metal, slate tiles, Spanish tiles, and concrete tiles. Depending on where you are in the country and what kind of weather you have, some types of roofing materials may be more appropriate than others. There are also aesthetic considerations to take into account – it’s important to choose materials that work for your home and your location, but it’s also important to love the way your home looks with a new roof.
Plan Your Schedule Carefully
Give your roofing project enough time to come together the way you want it to.
You can’t always pick when you want to get a new roof. If your roof has been severely damaged by a storm or downed tree, for example, it will need to be replaced as soon as possible. However, if you do have time, you should be strategic about when you plan for your new roof installation.
A roof isn’t the kind of thing you can have installed instantly. However, if you can plan for a time when the weather is likely to be good, it can be done faster. Labor or materials may also be less expensive during different seasons.
When you’re looking for a new roof, Lednor Home Solutions is here for you. They have years of experience helping homeowners like you achieve the kinds of roofing solutions they’re looking for, and they’re excited to do the same for you. You can count on Lednor Home Solutions to help guide you through the roofing process from estimate to completion. If you’re ready for a new roof or just want to learn more, contact us to schedule a free estimate.